Fried Rice is a fast and easy way to enjoy a healthy meal and use up all those veggies in the fridge.
- 1 cup of Long-grain rice (either white or brown depending on how healthy you want to be)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and grated/finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 small capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra to serve
*Feel free to add any left over meat, like lamb or chicken to add some extra protein. You can also add beans and little Asian stir-fry greens (broccoli) to increase your veggie intake.
- Cook rice according to packet directions. Drain and leave to cool.
- Heat oil in non-stick wok (frying pan also works) over medium heat. Add the eggs and swirl over base to make an omelette. Cook for 2 minutes, turn over and cook for another 2 minutes or until set. Remove from pan to allow to cool. Cut into bite-size strips.
- Add bacon rashes to wok, cook until golden.
- Add carrot, stir-fry for 1 minute. Add shallots, peas, corn, capsicum, rice and any other extra additions (eg. optional meat). Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add egg and soy sauce. Cook until heated through.
- Serve while hot, with extra soy sauce to taste.